Well, I made a decision and placed the order. I decided on the Dell Inspiron E1505.
Many friends gave me wonderful input on the decision. My Fiancee gave me the last wise advice. I was playing with the idea of dropping the DVD writer option or the extra 512MB of memory for the faster Core Duo T2400. Heather asked what items can’t be upgraded easily and I said the processor, she said go all out on the processor. So I did.
Thanks to Matt for suggesting bradsdeals, I saved another $250 on the price.
Here is what I ordered:
- Dell Inspiron E1505 Dual Core T2500 (2.0Ghz)
- 15.4 inch Wide Screen XGA Display with TrueLife clear screen
- 1 DIMM 512MB Shared Single Channel DDR2 SDRAM 533MHZ
- 256MB ATI MOBILITYÃ¢â€žÂ¢ RADEONÂ® X1400 (128MB dedicated + zero to 128MB shared, configurable)
- 60GB 5400rpm SATA Hard Drive
- Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 + re installation CD
- 24X CD Burner/DVD Combo Drive
- Dell Wireless 1390 802.11b/g Mini Card
- 85 WHr 9-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery
I sacrificed 40GB of drive space, DVD writing, and 512MB of system memory for the faster processor. I found 512MB at newegg.com for under $60 shipped. The DVD writing I can live without. The 60GB hard drive should work for a year or so. I figure in a year from now hard drives should be much cheaper.
So what do you think? Did I get a good deal?