Jehovah’s witness solicitation

I don’t have a problem with religious people going door to door soliciting their message. Even if I don’t agree with it, this is America. But I’ve had some Jehovah’s witnesses visit our home a few times now. They park across the street, walk right up to the door and ring the door bell. Two times I didn’t answer the door and three times I did. When they leave they go right to their car and drive off. They aren’t soliciting the neighborhood, they are targeting me.

Today they visited while I was mowing the lawn. I’ve told them a couple times now that I am Catholic. Well today they went on to ask me if I thought the world was coming to an end. Boy I wanted to give these a piece of my mind but I held back and told them I wasn’t interested and walked away.

There may be some honest and reputable organized religions out there, but from the education I have obtained over the the years, I’ve associated organized religion as a way for the strong and manipulative to take advantage of the weak and frightened.

In my opinion, the best thing someone can do who seeks spiritual guidance is read a Bible, or what ever other religious or spiritual book that inspires you, and make your own decisions on what everything means. As Thomas Paine once said, “My mind is my church”. Just remember to use reason, as it is human to seek the answers we want rather than the answers that are true or unanswerable.

6 comments on "Jehovah’s witness solicitation"

1. Steve says:

If JW’s park in front of your house and specifically come up to your door (as opposed to knocking on every door on your block), this is because they view you as a “Return Visit”. This means they believe you’ve shown yourself to be a friendly person who is willing/interested in talking about the Bible.

All they want is a friendly conversation, to share a scripture, and to offer you some reading material.

It’s what Jesus and his disciples did. JW’s are just trying to following their example.

2. Angelo says:

Thanks Steve for the insight.

I was not rude to them. Perhaps this is why they keep coming back.

They can continue to try to recruit me. All I will do is politely tell them I am not interested and continue to complain about it on my blog. 🙂

3. Keith Carley says:

If you’re catholic, you must have prayed many times in the “Our Father” for God’s Kingdom to come and His will to be done on Earth as it is in Heaven. From what you’ve learned in all the time, perhaps years, of going to your Church, what would you say that Kingdom is, and what is it going to do when it comes?

You might ask the Witnesses that same question and see how readily they can give an answer to it. You may not agree with their answer, but you’ll see that at least they’ve thought to ask and research the question. They don’t just say the words.

In line with Thomas Paine, they follow Paul’s advice at Romans 12:1, rendering “sacred service with your power of reason”.

4. n3wjack says:

That’s indeed why they keep coming back. By answering the doorbell, or not getting rude at them they marked you as a potential recruit.

Though kinda rude, the best thing is just wait until they take off when they are at your door.

5. Jerry says:

Share some of the following info with them, and I will guarantee you they will NEVER return. (PS: I assume that you know they already have — STEVE!!!!)

SUMMARIES OF OVER 550 JEHOVAH’S WITNESSES LAWSUITS & COURT CASES

The following website summarizes over 250 lawsuits filed by Jehovah’s Witnesses against their Employers, and/or incidents involving problem JW Employees:

EMPLOYMENT ISSUES UNIQUE TO JEHOVAH’S WITNESS EMPLOYEES

The following website summarizes 300 U.S. court cases and lawsuits affecting children of Jehovah’s Witness Parents, including 100+ cases where the JW Parents refused to consent to life-saving blood transfusions for their dying children:

DIVORCE, BLOOD TRANSFUSIONS, AND OTHER LEGAL ISSUES AFFECTING CHILDREN OF JEHOVAH’S WITNESSES

6. Angelo says:

I blogged about this because it happened. Technically I don’t want to start an argument with religious folks and I definitely don’t want to threaten religious people with legal action.

I don’t think Jesus and his disciples solicited door to door. If they did, that would explain better why the Romans were so concerned that he was disrupting society. I guarantee if I went door to door in Utah and tried to convert people to Muslims, the Mormons would put me in jail in a heartbeat.

I am going to close the comments for this topic. I had no intentions of starting an argument with religious folks, my only complaint was these particular Jehovah Witnesses are pestering me and I don’t think it is right. Our constitution is written so we are free to practice any religion we want. Unfortunately, there is no amendment for freedom from religion. The only thing I can do is complain about their behavior, and I did.

Comments are closed.