This is the second time I have had to deal with a claim with Home Buyers Warranty, also known as HWB, 2-10, two dash ten, two ten and 2 10. Web site: http://www.2-10.com. The claim system is setup for local repair companies to make money with initial trade fees. Our trade fee is $50 for each claim. The claim system does not appear to encourage quick and prompt repairs.
The first time I filed a claim with them, it was for a pipe that froze in the house. They had a repair man come to the home within the next morning. He had asked me what caused the pipe to freeze. Well even though the house design is flawed which, in my opinion, allowed the pipe to freeze, the actual freezing of the pipe was caused by an act of nature which is not covered by the warranty. I recall he told me then and there the Warranty will most not approve this repair. Through the ordeal I had to pay the trade fee of $50. Great, I was out $50 and had to fix the problem myself. Even though the warranty implies it covers problems that may occur with the plumbing in your home, if there is a way out of the claim, this company will take it. As far as I am concerned, the pipe would not have froze if the house was designed right. The weather only exposed the problem. Lawyers win the day though, as their terms are written so they can claim otherwise.
The more recent claim (#2305438) is for the air conditioning unit. When I filed my claim Monday night they had a repair man out to the home (company info: Energy Group Heating and Cooling) the following Tuesday morning. I also paid them the trade fee of $50 for the visit. The repair man swapped out some parts (a capacitor and some sort of booster for the capacitor) and at first the air conditioner started to work. The repair man was knowledgeable and friendly.
The next day (Wednesday) the air conditioner failed again. I called the Home Buyers Warranty that day. The following morning the repair company called and let me know that they are waiting for Home Buyers Warranty to authorize/approve the replacement of the AC compressor.
The following morning (Today / Friday) I decided to find out the status of my claim and called HWB‘s 1-800-775-4736 number. This is where I started getting the run around. I called and spoke with a claim rep, he then said there is no record of any further approvals for repairs for my claim. He then transferred me to a department that handles claim approvals/authorizations. A woman answered with some odd accent or echo, then bam she hung up on me. The hanging up while waiting for someone within the approvals department repeated a few times till finally I started calling other departments at HWB. The last woman I spoke with worked in the service provider department. I insisted on leaving my information with her rather than calling and getting hung up on. At this point, I am still waiting for a call back from them on what the deal is. Calls were placed between 11:00AM to 2:00PM. Nearly 90 minutes according to my Verizon wireless phone.
Hopefully a supervisor will call me soon and prove me wrong and that all the crap they put me through today was some other sort of problem. I will keep everyone posted.
In the mean time, I spent $100 and got a wall AC unit for the computer room, which is less than adequate.
Post updated on August 6, 2007
Later on that Friday, at 3:47pm I was contacted by Art (Arther) in the customer service department. He told me he would contact the assigned contractor and get the repairs straightened out that afternoon. I waited all weekend for some sort of status on the repair for the AC. Today, at 9:17am, I called the contractor to find out the status of the repair. The secretary told me that the repair man was currently on the other line with the warranty company finding out what repairs they will authorize. I told the woman on the phone that I eagerly awaited an update from her on the status of the repair. I have not received a return call.
In the mean time, I’ve contacted the Ohio Attorney General to see what I should do next. Hopefully someone will tell me what will happen with my claim (#2305438). A timely answer at this point would be greatly appreciated.
Post updated on August 8, 2007
I’ve talked to our buyers agent and he has been extremely helpful with this matter.Â If you are shopping for a home, I highly recommend you find the best buyers agent in the area, they truly work for you and you only.
Yesterday I talked to the owner of the local contractor.Â He was sympathetic to the situation and said he would personally contact the warranty company to get the parts approved.Â He promised to call me back the following day.
Today at about 2pm I decided to called the contractor rather than wait for his call.Â I spoke with the secretary.Â She instructed me that either I could wait for the warranty company to call me to authorize the repair or I could call them.Â I asked the secretary to put together any documentation of what they have sent to the warranty company in case I get the run around. Â I then called the warranty company.Â It took a while but I eventually go tto the right department and was able to authorize the repair.Â I agreed to pay $280 for the disposal of the compressor and the freon. Â I wanted to get a timeline for the repair and the person I spoke with to authorize the repair was unable to give me an estimate.Â She transferred me to a customer care department.Â I remained on hold for 20+ minutes.Â I then spoke with someone who was striaght up with me and told me the contractor shoud receive the part within 5 days.Â I presume this is 5 business days.Â I then called the local contractor and let them know they should be receiving the part within the next 5 days.
Through all of the correspondence today, I was given the advice to call the warranty company on a daily basis to check the status of the ordered part.Â I am taking that advice and plan on calling them at least once a day to find out if the part was shipped.
The Ohio Attorney General’s office called me today as well.Â They are sending me forms to fill out and file with them.Â If the warranty company follows through with the repair, I will not file a complaint to the Attorney Generals Office.Â From my stand point, they are pushing the envelope as far as they can but unless they screw up completely I have to give them the benefit of the doubt.